Thursday 20 February 2014

Bok Choy Coconut Noodle Soup

A bowl of yellow creamy comfort
For three weeks running we received bok choy in the veggie box. This in itself
is not a problem.  We like bok choy, it is tasty and good for you.

The problem was my limited kitchen apparatus.  I usually stir fry bok choy or at least use a fry pan to wilt it when using it in Gado Gado salad or something. But until our stuff arrived from the UK I had no idea what to do with it all, but I had to do something as we were out of everything else until the delivery the next day.

Google is my friend.

The recipe I used came from Hooked On Heat - a blog on "Indian inspired flavours" I intend to return to once Pickle is here and I can resume eating spicy food without incurring painful heartburn.  I made this very mild using only a small teaspoon of curry paste in place of the Sambal Oelek in the original recipe.  The paste was an Indian variety - with tomato and cumin instead of the ginger/galangal and citrus flavours of South East Asia - so I added a bit of fresh ginger - it turned out great.  It was also really quick to make.  I think I spent more time googling what to do with my bok choy than putting the meal together.


Fertility Focus:
Bok Choy (also known as Pak Choy and Chinese Cabbage) is nutrient dense and a full of vitamins A, C, K and folate.  It is also a good source of calcium as its oxalic acid is low and the body is able to absorb the calcium more easily
Coconut milk is a source of healthy saturated fat which aids in vitamin absorption and balancing hormones
Ginger promotes blood circulation and proper digestion in which the body absorbs the nutrients in foods

Ingredients

  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Ginger
  • 1 teaspoon red curry paste
  • Tin coconut milk
  • Water
  • Bok Choy
  • Egg noodles (I use one nest for two servings)

Method
Soak egg noodle nest in a covered bowl of boiling water until soft.

Meanwhile slice the onion thinly and finely chop the garlic and ginger.  Heat curry paste and a splash of water over a medium heat and stir in onion, garlic and ginger until coated.  Add coconut milk and enough water to make up to approx 2 cups. Wash and roughly chop the Bok Choy.  Add stems to coconut milk (reserving leaves) and bring to boil.  Allow to simmer for a few minutes to infuse the coconut milk with all the flavours.  Turn off the heat, add the roughly chopped bok choy and cover.

Drain the egg noodles and place in the bottom of soup bowls.  Use a spoon to fish out the veggies and divide evenly between the bowls.  Top with the coconut soup liquid.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...