Sunday 16 June 2013

Dairy Free Banana Chocolate Mousse


As I mentioned, Mr Duncan is banned from dairy, I still have too many eggs and there is an over-ripe banana that needs using.  He's feeling sorry for himself and wants a dessert.  Like most of my recipes, this one derives from the need to use things up instead of throw them away.  What can I give him using what we currently have in the house?

The base recipe is from a magazine I copied into my recipe book in the years before we had the internet, when I was still living in New Zealand. 


The Ultra Chocolate Mousse
3 eggs, separated
200 gms dark chocolate, melted
100mls cream, lightly whipped
Stir egg yolks into melted chocolate until well blended.  Whisk egg whites until stiff, fold into chocolate mixture until evenly blended.  Fold in whipped cream and spoon into bowls.  Chill for two hours and serve with extra whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

I've followed this recipe and served in glasses to dinner guests many times.  It is dead easy to do and always garners many compliments.  However it is rich, doesn't meet Mr Duncan's dairy ban.

This is what I did instead
Dairy Free Banana Chocolate Mousse 

Fertility focus
Banana is a good source of vitamin B6 which contributes to hormone balance.
Dark Chocolate is rich in antioxidants which help protect sperm and eggs from damage by free radicals and also contains arginine which is good for fertility.

Ingredients
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 1 overripe banana, well mashed
  • 100gms dark chocolate
Method
Melt chocolate and blend with mashed banana.  Stir in egg yolks. Whisk egg whites until stiff.  Fold chocolate/banana mix into the egg whites.  Spoon into glasses. Refrigerate.


Melting the chocolate
Separated eggs
I mix a little of the egg white into the chocolate mix before folding it back into the eggwhites so it is not too heavy

Folding complete

Serve in glasses



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...